Monday, March 24, 2008

Yesterday was Easter. Pam convinced me to spend a good part of the afternoon watching No Country for Old Men. I wasn’t hard to convince, since the Coen brothers are favorites of mine and most of the films I have watched over the last few years featured talking animals or vegetables. Our Zoe is five.

I’m going to write my take on the film while attempting to leave out any specifics that would ruin the suspense for those who haven’t yet seen it.

Now, I’m no film or literary critic. Still, I’ll argue that from my angle the only way to interpret the film is to think of it as what I’ve taken the liberty to refer to as Christian noir.

Consider, though the movie is essentially realistic, the bad guy is not human. He’s too evil and/or not well enough developed (intentionally, I believe). He is a dark spirit, or as the sheriff says, a ghost.

And consider, two sheriffs from different towns talk about the incomprehensible wickedness that has overcome at least their part of the world during the past twenty years or so (the ‘60s and ‘70s). The bad guy, in my view, is the incarnation of that wickedness. (Or in evangelical Christian terms, Satan loosed upon the world in the last days).

The sheriff, while talking about his career, explains that he used to believe God would show up by the time he reached the age he is now. But, he says, God hasn’t show up. I’m presuming the sheriff is referring to the Christian version of God, because given his appearance and what we know of his background, that seems his most likely heritage.

So, he may still be waiting for God to show or he may have given up. Then, in the final scene, he tells of a dream he had last night. The dream is a cowboy’s vision of heaven.

The message the film sends me is, not only Texas, but the whole world has proven to be no country for old men, or for any who have grasped the truth, that we haven’t the power or insight to stop the tide of evil. Our only hope, or salvation, is in God showing up and giving us a dream.

5 comments:

Donigan said...

Ken, is god showing up the same one as claimed in Revelations and elsewhere in THE BOOK? The one that is going to torture and torment eternally people like me? Sort of the infinite version of Osama Bin Laden? I'm curious about things like this as they appear in the kit and kaboodle of believers. Your old friend, Don. Ignore the generic email address.

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

In my interpretation, the center of the Bible is Christ on the cross, praying, "Father, forgive them, they don't know what they're doing."

But don't consider me a competent apologist. If you'd like to question or contend with someone who is, I can refer you.

About the kit and kaboodle of believers, you'd be surprised at how many differences of opinion they have on this issue.

Thanks for the comment, Ken

Donigan said...

I'm not curious about apologists, nor am I curious about "what" believers believe; they have no problem explaining the what in all its myriad and specific formulations. I am curious about the "why" of belief, not the "what." More often than not, the what is so astonishingly outrageous that it begs the why question.

I am also curious to know how much picking and choosing goes on with believers and their religious tomes, and how often believers really do believe all of whichever of the books they've chosen for their religious foundation. Picking and choosing seems to me to raise as many astonishing difficulties of contradiction and irrationality as going for the whole kit and kaboodle.

So in your case, you "center" your belief in one particular scene in a very long book. One wonders how far you spread out from your center? I think that is the core of my comment. How much of the k an k do you go for?

In other words, for example, do you believe in a god who would torment and torture a person like me for an infinite, indeterminable future for no reason other than the fact that I find the tales in religious books to be incredulous to the extreme and do not believe that the character Jesus was the son of god, because I do not believe in gods.

Does that not seem both a bit petty and massively cruel and vindictive to you? If an earthly father treated his children the way this heavenly father is reported to do, he would be in prison, and justifiably so. Would you allow Cody to be tortured and murdered on a cross just to make a point? Yet, you worship a father who did just that. Certainly you can see why I find this so confusing?

Try as I may, I am not able to get it. The lingering of these superstitions from the ancient mind into the present will probably always mystify me.

I never understood why Communist social architecture was always so incredibly ugly, either.

But I keep asking.

Calling it noir does not disguise that it is still rooted in a body of religious superstitions that are flagrantly irrational and often mad. Or is that the point, why you call it noir?

(I don't now why this assumes I am someone or something called AZ, unless it has somehow decided to use the initials of the fake name I use on public email addresses. BTW, Mr. Zixx is the name shouted out by the crazy guy who came into the Coronado Public Library everyday and announced his name at the top of his voice: I AM MR. ZIXX! I honor him on the Web.)

Your old friend,
Don

Vicki said...

Don, This is Vicki from San Diego, Tucson, now Riverside. Can you get in touch with me at vbroach@charter.net? Hello to Holly.

Vicki

Donigan said...

I wondered if you were that Vicki when I read your comment about Sara. I'll send you an email soon.
Don