Friday, August 01, 2008

A few weeks ago, I downloaded to my I-pod a Janis Joplin song with the refrain “Looks like everybody in this whole round world is down on me.”

I could identify. My wife was acting disgusted, my elder daughter wouldn’t return phone calls, I had recently suffered through a bombast of abuse and accusations from somebody connected to Perelandra College, of which I’m a founder and currently President.

Long ago, I had noticed that what people appear to fault me for isn’t doing stuff, but not doing stuff. So, my dilemma has been, do I work myself into the grave trying to do what folks want me to do, or do what I consider most important and put up with their anger and active or passive abuse?

Now, last week, a publisher of my books let’s me know the sales numbers are disappointing. And, after a few days stewing about that, the answer to the whole issue comes clear.

Money. It’s all about money (keep in mind that this is a rant, not a close, objective study of all nuances).

Okay, to claim ditching high school upset the vice-principal because of money might be a stretch, but it’s a fact that schools get docked money for students’ unexcused absences.

And my wife wouldn’t contend I didn’t do enough around the house if I could afford to hire a gardener and maid to do it. And my ex-wife’s disposition might’ve brightened might’ve if I’d provided better. And I believe on reason my daughter wouldn’t call me back is she didn’t want another reminder about the money she owed me, which I needed. And it’s certain the person at Perelandra College would’ve sung a different tune if I had raised lots more money or more rapidly built the school into a thriving business.

Okay, I should’ve known from reading Jane Austen, if not before, that our world, or at least the part with which I’m familiar, is essentially a commercial enterprise. Okay, I’m slow. But now, with the root cause of the dilemma identified, a thorny question remains: how does somebody who wants to create stuff cope with this state of affairs.

One answer is to get somebody to support you along your artistic way. But, though I’ve learned through friends of problems with this answer, I’ll decline to comment and instead stick to the plight of those of us who need to support ourselves and perhaps others.

Though I’ve wandered in this brier patch for lots of years, looking for a way out, all I can see are two paths.

One of them, putting art above commerce, generally leads to poverty (which in turn means if anyone depends upon you, you’d best expect disdain or downright anger). Even if you only create part-time while working a full-time day job, the creative process has a jealous habit of demanding most of our passion, which then can’t be spent on our day job, our investments, or our families or friends.

The other path, turning our creativity to commercial ends, which in the case of us writers means writing what editors and publishers think people want to read, can bring us prosperity (and with it, perhaps, the affection of those who prosper because of us), but only if our talent, our timing, and luck (or providence) work in our accord. And even if the long-shot pays off, if we’re creating what other people want, then we’re not creating what we believe in, which can turn a joyful process into dull labor.

Some of us attempt to trudge through the briars, to make our own path, and find way to create on our own terms while attending to commercial realities. But most of us we get lost and disappear.

I’ve been thinking about Graham Greene, a favorite novelist of mine. He broke his fictions into two categories: the novels, and the entertainments. I’m going to review and think more about them, but in my recollection, I don’t buy the labels, because the novels entertain me better than do the entertainments.

More on this later, provided I don’t disappear.

11 comments:

Donigan said...

Since this is a rant and not a reasoned consideration of commercial versus artistic dilemmas, I won't add to the stew by pointing out that this is an one of those eternal verities for which there is no "answer." There are only choices and personal satisfactions.

I have, as have you, been writing and seeing my work published for more than a quarter century. I am more proud of, or favorable toward, some of those books more than others, but that's beside the point here. It didn't take long for the rational (vs. the emotional) aspects of my mind to understand that I was never going to "breakout" commercially, that I would always be, at best, a mid-list author, which is not the same as being a mid-list writer. I do not think I am a mid-list writer. I think I'm just damn fine.

Of course it is disheartening that so much pure shlock is commercially successful, but it is not at all surprising. Think television, think movies. Think texting. The mistake is judging value or worth by its success in the common marketplace. If I continue with this line, I could be accused of elitism. Okay, go ahead.

So I come to personal satisfactions. It's a mind-set. An acceptance of the obvious reality of human nature. Being struck by lightning while bat hunting in a deep cave is rare. so I don't spend much of my time worrying about it. Ditto the breakout book. I like the books I write, the stories I tell to anyone interested in them. I do the best I can, enjoy as much of it as I can, get old, wonder about the end game, and hope I will still be proud of and satisfied with my life in summation.

Now the other thing, the "bombast of abuse and accusations." I just hate stuff like that. The older I get, the more I detest that element of human unkindness. I don't know what you're talking about here, so I'll take off on my own rant.

Tomorrow's "Sunday Magazine" insert in the NY Times has a long analysis of the "Internet Troll" phenomenon. It is already available in the Internet edition of the Times. It is difficult reading, because I don't want to be reminded that we are doomed to live among animals and sometimes the gates are left open too long.

Life is too brief at ten times its length. It is too brief and too precious for a moment spent in hatred, abuse, anger, bitterness, and evil. This article reminded me that evil is not banal, evil is flagrant and proud of itself.

But that's another story.

You were right in your email. This kind of thing is better done in a cafe or a pub, face to face, the tongue lubricated ... alas, it seems your lot to hold down the left coast, while mine is to contain the right.

But we had our day, didn't we.

Imp said...

I hear ya. I'm sure my sales numbers are far more "disappointing" than yours, too. Art before commerce! Poverty be damned!

Ken Kuhlken said...

Donigan,

Man, you're the rant man. Next time, I'll just throw out a short line and ask you to run with it. Make that weeks in a cafe, with short breaks for sleep and light exercise.

Ken

Ken Kuhlken said...

Allesia,

Thanks for your comment. It made me laugh. Gallows humor has always been a favorite of mine.

Ken

Donigan said...

I'm paid by the word. Aren't you?

Unknown said...

Hmmm... this is going to be interesting, in light of the blogs I have just finished reading...

Unknown said...

(NOTE: That first post was a test, because I have never been a google blogger before!)

Ken, I have to believe since the Lord(?) put it on my heart/in my mind to contact you, and because of the ideas and sentiments expressed in your blogs, that God wants to use you in my life (and possibly that of my son, Ryan), or perhaps that a conversation would benefit all of us...

Could you please call me? I would like to chat about an idea for a book...

Sharon

Ken Kuhlken said...

Sharon,

I'm not sure what Sharon you are. I know a Sharon with a son named Ryan, but that might not be you.

If you're the one I'm thinking of, please call me.

If not, give me a hint of what's going on and a phone number. Use my email, which you can access through my web site www.kenkuhlken.net

Ken

Brad Green said...

In response to this:

Even if you only create part-time while working a full-time day job, the creative process has a jealous habit of demanding most of our passion, which then can’t be spent on our day job, our investments, or our families or friends.


I've only started writing again after a long layoff - 12 years, in fact - and in that time I've acquired a career, a wife, two kids, responsibilities, and the start of graying hair. A couple of months ago I sat down and started writing again. Out of the blue. Pow. I couldn't stand not doing it anymore. Now those thoughts fill every day; they crowd out work and even family at times.

In physics such a compression of material into a space as small as my brain would normally yield explosive consequences. No big bang for me yet though, just a gradual agglutination of frustrations.

Finding the time to both read and write when work has bleached my mind from a day of inane distractions is a task that requires baggage. I carry books wherever I go now, to my wife's chagrin, since that makes it harder for me to carry the baby. Books, yes, and a notebook - I carry them always. A spare 5 minutes here is several more paragraphs of Baxter or Nabakov consumed. It is these little moments where before my wife and I would engage that I now devote to my halted writing. This both saddens and enthralls me.

I feel guilty at the welling importance of words, especially when the diapers need changing.

I'm off to hunt for the feed to your blog now. I met donigan earlier today and his blog led me to yours. I should have headed in this direction sooner, instead of that Internet Literature I was trying to read a month ago.

Ken Kuhlken said...

Brad,

That's a heart rending comment, full of stuff I find all too familiar.

About that feed, I'm off now to find out how to set it up. On certain tech issues, I'm a little boneheaded.

Anyway, welcome, and thanks for the insights.

Ken

Mommy K said...

I am one of the fortunate few to have a supportive and not particularly ambitious spouse to hold a steady job as I create. Yet, I've still had to work some. Although I never planned on being a nanny for 7 years, one of the textbooks at Perelandra said not to begrudge the work we must do to support ourselves but consider it narrative gold. Ben and I have both been fortunate to have jobs that don't consume all of our energy. But we have still had to postpone many dreams because of money. Our biggest fights are about money, and giving up dreams (which at least produced a good sestina entitled "Lamentations of Noah's Wife"). Until money falls out of the sky, maybe I should read your blog about journalism...