Tuesday, January 19, 2010

One of my bad habits is assessing the value of each day as it passes by what tasks I've accomplished. Someday I may kick the habit entirely. For now, though, I'm  going to alter it, on account of a realization. 

I realized that the tasks don't matter so much as the good ideas that come. 

When we analyze stories, we're wise to consider the climax, (the turning point upon which the success or failure of the character's quest depends), not as an action but as the thought or decision that propels the character toward the necessary action. 

Likewise, a valuable accomplishment won't happen unless a good idea sets it into motion.

Now, a good idea isn't worth much unless it's somehow acted upon. Lots of folks are flooded with good ideas and intentions to bring the ideas to life but never find the motivation to proceed.

But for those of us obsessed with carrying out what good ideas we're given, if we don't accomplish a single task, so what? We're not drones. What we're about isn't tasks but good ideas. The tasks will get done by and by.

Besides, this outlook makes me feel lighter.

No comments: