Saturday, March 28, 2009

I attend a church in which the pastor recommends that our process of growing closer to God can benefit from times of solitude, and he tells about a hideaway in the desert , which some nice parishoners lend him.

Okay. I'm pleased he's gets to do that.

But imagine a single mom or dad with no nice friends offering a desert retreat. What's this person to do if his or her mind or emotions or art could use a healthy jolt of solitude?

I've been pondering this thorny question for a few days and here are some thoughts on the matter.

At least part of the refreshment we get from solitude comes from silence. And those of us who are verbal creatures are going to talk to somebody, to spill our frustrations, or wrestle with ideas, or seek answers, or put words to our excitement or wonder. If we've chosen solitude, we'll talk to somebody, maybe to God or maybe to ourselves, maybe to our pet iguana. And talks like these can be the most honest, outrageous, and creative.

If they get too crazy, we can always chicken out and find some person to talk to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, what do you make of the words you chose in writing this?

blah blah
whining
withdraw
wrestle
chicken out
warning
frontal attack

Doesn't it seem telling with regarding to a piece about silence and conversation?

Have you see the "Religulous" documentary by Larry Charles, with Bill Maher? I think you can see in much of it how your word choices do indeed fit your subject. (I'm sure you can rent the DVD, and I strongly recomend it.)

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

What I make of the words is frustration. Thanks for the recommend.

Ken

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

I've deleted much of the frustration from the post, as I prefer folks read what I'm aiming at rather than get sidetracked into linguistic analysis.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I liked it the way it was.

What do you mean by linguistic analysis? Are you referring to that school of philosophy?

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

Depends. Does that branch of philosophy entail going through somebody's words and picking out the ones that can justify your views of that somebody and then using them to do so?

Enlighten me, please.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken, you are way too sensitive right now for any sort of useful dialogue. I am going to chicken out and withdraw.