Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Spending all day yesterday on planes gave me plenty of time to reflect. I was on my way home from the Florida Christian Writers Conference, where I had encountered questions about the ethics of writers.

I agree with what John Gardner presented in his book On Moral Fiction, that whether or not we writers aim to be teachers, we are. And what we teach has consequences.

At the conference, student writers, aside from matters of craft and marketing, were presented with strange ideas such as that writing isn’t just about making money, and that we could do well to find contentment in our work, rather than in our bank accounts or egos, and we’ll only find aggravation in comparing our success to others’. Though I’ve been to dozens of conferences and my job was to teach, I also learned, and came away feeling blessed and inspired.

And a new wild idea came to me.

Here goes: the world only has room for a finite number of popular writers. Ergo, the more of us who seek and present the truth and grow to become masters of the craft, the less room will remain for those who would write any piece of nonsense that pays.

Jerry Bumpus, a wonderful friend and teacher, told me long ago that if we get good enough, we’ll break through the competition and succeed. Not that many fine but unsung writers aren’t better than many successful ones. Still, at some point in their growth, if they keep growing, live long enough, and put their work into the world, they’ll get discovered and read.

So:

If enough principled writers dedicate themselves and thereby become good enough to displace the perpetrators of easy answers and other lies, they can transform the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Bumpus is wrong about this.

Christian writers?

Um.

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

Happy to hear from you.

How're things down there, I'd love to know.

Do me a favor, if you would. If ever you agree with something I write, please let me know.

Your amigo, Ken

Anonymous said...

I am a long-time fan of your books and some of your journalism. As you know.

It's Bumpus's statement I don't buy, not yours, unless you are offering it as yours.

As for the Christian stuff, agreement is probably not on the horizon. I was just surprised to read that there was such a thing as an association of Christian writers, or even writers who designate themselves as Christian writers.

If you want to know how things are down here, nothing's stopping you from coming on down. We'd love to put you up, show you around, feed and wine you, get to know Pam ... I'm doing a reading and Q and A at the Buenos Aires International Book Fair in mid-April; good time for you to make your visit, yes?

Things down here are quite wonderful, I am already rather enamored of this massive city.

Ken Kuhlken said...

Don,

I guess the reason I like to quote Jerry Bumpus on that issue isn't because I believe it's always true, but it can put us in a way better frame of mind than if we go around feeling abused because the Grishams of the world make enough money so they can scoot on down to South America while some of could only reach Guadalajara before we'd have to jump off the bus and hitchhike the rest of the way.

Anonymous said...

I guess when I gave up the notion a long, long time ago that any part of life would be fair, and that things would equal out one way or another, I was able to write what appealed to me and be pretty damn happy when anything at all came of it. Must be something in my secret Christian nature.

Anonymous said...

PS ... if you have missed the soothing tones of my voice, there is now an audio file on my webblog of me reading from the first few pages of chapter one of "An Island in the Pines," which will be published next Spring.